First Five: OSCP Labs Review

Note: Hashes partially covered. Just in case they mean something. Time is in GMT.

Opening

I'm back at it again. I decided to sign up for the OSCP PWK instead of doing 40 HtB challenges. I wouldn't meet my December 2020 timeline with that strategy. I do better with a defined timeline. I signed up for 60 days insead of 90. I'm in jeporady of running out of lab time before I solve all the boxes. It takes me 1-3 days for one box right now.

Four of the boxes I hacked are Linux-based. I've turned my attention to Window boxes which is a huge weakness of mine. I feel like I'm gonna need 40-50 hours of practice to solve an easy-medium Windows box in a reasonable amount of time.

Current Concerns

  1. Windows
  2. Too many ports and services on one target
  3. Shellcode
  4. Hex Characters
  5. Buffer Overflow
  6. Being Slow
  7. Note Taking

1. Windows - Need more practice

2. Need more practice. I like boxes with less ports open. I'm less likely to go down a wrong path. Technically I should be happy more services/ports are available to me.

3. I can generate shellcode with msfvenom, I don't ever remember it working though. I would find an exploit with a cmd injection and I'd insert a reverse shell there. I can practice this by going on past box and retrying.

4. I get different answers on what the hex code characters are. Or how developers come up with these. I see them in C, Perl, and Python code. If I had to change something, I would not know how.

5. Haven't gotten to it yet.

6. Will see if I get a speed upgrade after my next 5 boxes?

7. Once I hack a box its 10:30-12am at night. I'm tired and I think 'ah I'll take notes tomorrow'. And then I don't take notes. Sometimes I'll blog a random snippet.

Favorite Box

My favorite one is Mailman followed by Phoenix. My least favorite was Legacy.

Lessons Learned

  1. Don't stop enumerating. I found a webapp, stopped the scan, and missed a 2nd webapp on the server.
  2. If a reverse shell isn't connecting back, try port 443 or 53.
  3. Learned about GSUID and found a helpful github script.
  4. If something doesn't look like a commercial app, don't assume its a homemade 1-person (saw it/uses it) app. Google it.

Music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HTB - Jarvis MySQL

Palo Alto for GNS3 CCDC Tutorial

Trace Labs Global Missing Persons CTF V