Going back to school while working full time - Cisco

Background

I signed up for Cisco 1 and 2 this Fall semester. I just finished Cisco 2. David Durkee the instructor offered to teach the Tri-C team during Midwest CCDC. He barged into our room and said something like "hey you guys need help! Tri-C isn't too far away from Lakeland Community College. You should take some classes with me! I know my stuff". It's not everyday a networking professor barges into the room and offers to teach you. I couldn't pass this offer up. Also note: We left our very knowledgeable Cisco/Windows/Linux team-member Mohammad Ali in Cleveland. Our router and switch would have been better protected with his insight. We had no Network Admin during the competition.

Area

Lakeland Community College is far away. Its located on the East side of Cleveland in Kirkland. I live in Brunswick. It takes 35 minutes to get there from work and one hour to get home. The area is very nice! I used to live in Willoughby when I was a little kid. It was nice to see it again. A mall, Starbucks, Core Eatery, and other stuff is located close to Lakeland. They have an entire road filled with stores. Lakeland is a beautiful campus too. The course cost $389 and for the content taught, the price is well worth it.

Likes

In Cisco 1 we used real equipment and did labs. Cisco 1 with Durkee is what I've always wanted my networking courses to be like. Practical, hands-on, difficult, and a lot of work. Since Durkee knows I'm mostly there for CCDC, he will randomly throw out some security tips for the class.

Cisco 2 is better than Cisco 1. We had a lab almost everyday. We had a lab on top of a take-home lab on top of a 'do it for fun' lab. I've already memorized the commands because I've done what feels like 25+ labs already. Speaking of Cisco 2, I have to study Cisco 2 again over break. There was that much information!

Dislikes

The first three classes in Cisco 1 are slow. You'll go through things like "With an internet connection, you can talk to people online"! Christian (student) and I complained that we wanted to do a lab. After we got back from a 10-minute break Durkee said "Ok you guys want to do a lab! Fine we can do a lab! Watch me everyone! *Types in 50 new commands*. After chapter 1 and 2 the class got better each time. My only complaint is the first few classes start off too easy. I had everything under control in Cisco 1 but in Cisco 2 is where things get more interesting.

Why do Cisco? Aren't you a software engineer?

It's exciting to be a beginner again. My network skills lag far behind my software side. I haven't logged into a router or switch before Durkee's class. I have an interest in Networking and want to pass my CCNA. I heard having a network background is a good thing for the security field too. Soo.. why not? I feel like an Avatar when I practice and hone different skillsets.

Topics I've learned

Vlans,
Trunks,
Static and Dynamic Routing,
Routing Protocols like RIP and OSPF
Switch-port security
Vty and Console Lines
Setting up DHCP
NAT (although I need to go over this again)
Serial ports you have to set a clock rate on. DCE and DHE.
Subinterfaces and Router on a Stick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HTB - Jarvis MySQL

Palo Alto for GNS3 CCDC Tutorial

Trace Labs Global Missing Persons CTF V