Australia National Missing Persons Event

Team at Australia Headquarters.

Minister for Home Affairs Peter Dutton.

AustCyber virtual environment Hallway.

AustCyber virtual environment with robots.

Final Event Tally.

Introduction

I was a judge Wednesday-Thursday from 6pm to 3am (Central Time CT North America) for Australia's National Missing Person CTF event.

Event

The Australia CTF is my favorite Trace Labs event of the year. It wasn't just the Australian National event, it was THE international event of the year. The event was so well planned. The Minister for Home Affairs Peter Dutton came to talk before we started. Dutton wasn't the only government official either, I believe Tim Watts, Shadow Minister of Cybersecurity was there too. I thought WOW high officials in government showed up IN-PERSON, know what Trace Labs is, and support our mission to help law enforcement find missing persons!?! Also the titles sound pretty cool. "Shadow Minister of Cybersecurity". Sounds like batman.

AustCyber recorded the event. It was live. While I was sifting through submissions, I could hear interviews going on. I loved how they put up 4 foot posters of the missing persons. They also read details about each of the 12 people. All the activity going on kept me awake. It also makes you feel more connected to the missing persons if a person is reading details about them.

They also had a virtual environment going on for Australian Cyber Week. I put screenshots up above that show the environment. It was unique and I haven't seen a conference/event do that before.

A few companies were sponsors and competing in the event. I found one of their videos: Fifth Domain

Judging the event was very intense. I had a top 5 team with 4 members. They were the most competitive team I ever judged. I hung on from 7pm to 11:30pm before I traded teams. They had 20+ pending submissions and a lot of them were "Days Last Seen" 500 pointers. I didn't feel comfortable making a podium decision so I traded the team for another. I couldn't keep up the intensity knowing I had 3 more hours to go. The boat was slowly sinking so I found a better judge and jumped on another calmer boat ⛵. It takes a bit of maturity to remove yourself for the good of the ship. I didn't want the team to slide into overtime with 100 different judges looking at their submissions individually. If your team is running away from you, ask the Judge Lead belouve for a trade.

Recording of the Event

https://www.cyberweek2020.austcyber.com/event/session/12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HTB - Jarvis MySQL

Palo Alto for GNS3 CCDC Tutorial

Trace Labs Global Missing Persons CTF V