Found my First Missing Person

I found my first missing person! Before I get into details let me go over some of my personal rules:

1. I will NEVER publish the name of a missing person I have found. Their runaway/bad situation doesn't need to be on the internet for everyone to see.

2. I do not contact the missing person, friends, or family members.

3. If a missing person is posted on a Government website asking for help from the public, I consider that a green-light go for it.

How this all Started

I found Tracelabs through a youtube video. They have a Trello board of 8 people that are missing and they rotate every month. Tracelabs hosts the Global Capture the Flag event for missing people. The next one will be in July.

The issue is the Tracelabs people are faster and better than me. By the time I get to the Trello board, everything is found. I wanted to practice. I got the idea of why don't I just visit the Ohio Missing Person website and practice with that! I did not expect to find missing people, just to practice my technical skills, learn some more, get faster, document different things, etc. Obtaining an actual location is what I call the jackpot.

So this was the second missing person I picked from the Ohio website. My first pick was already found while I was still researching. I decided 'Hey I better pick someone who has been missing for longer'. I went on the 5th-10th tab and picked a person. They were a minor in Dayton Ohio.

I found a video, took a screenshot, and then Google-mapped 20+ different locations until I found a perfect match. After I hesitated for a day to contact the police about it. Then I read on the website "don't hesitate" and "anyone with information". I thought hey I'm an ANYONE! The text says don't hesitate. At first I called but realized email was better. I emailed them a location. Two weeks later the missing person URL was taken down.

After I emailed Dayton I visited the URL everyday. I thought eh this is getting depressing. Why can't they find this person? Is the website slow to take them down? Have they been found yet? Then I decided to visit the website on Fridays only. I visited the URL today and the wonderful "Page not Found" showed up.

I'd say... it took me a total of 8 hours to find the location of the person. Three evenings after work. It took me 3 hours to find out this person was still active on social media. I was jumping for joy over that little detail.

What Next

I'll continue picking Ohioans. Reason being Toledo and Youngstown are human trafficking hotspots. Ohio has a human trafficking problem. There is no shortage of missing people on that website. Plus no one else is looking for them. Imagine being a big city and having 3 investigators and 200 missing people? I also know the area. The Dave Yost website seems responsive and updates postings.

On another note I'm going anonymous in certain scenarios. My identity would either be L, Q, or All Might. But if I did that, everyone would know its me. So you can call me Q publicly and I'll pick boring names privately. As L said he had many identities!

Also note, Tracelabs doesn't support unsanctioned as its called. The missing person must be on their list. This is all on my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HTB - Jarvis MySQL

Palo Alto for GNS3 CCDC Tutorial

Trace Labs Global Missing Persons CTF V